Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Why Do You Do That?!

Auricular Confession Part 2

Well, it has taken me longer to get back to it than I wanted. But as promised here is the text of the Office of Reconciliation that the American prayer book offers as a form for organizing auricular confession. Note first of all the directions given at the outset:

The ministry of reconciliation, which has been committed by Christ to his

Church, is exercised through the care each Christian has for others,

through the common prayer of Christians assembled for public worship,

and through the priesthood of the Church and its ministers declaring

absolution.

The Reconciliation of a Penitent is available for all who desire it. It is not

restricted to times of sickness. Confessions may be heard anytime and

anywhere...

When a confession is heard in a church building, the confessor may sit

inside the altar rails or in a place set aside to give greater privacy, and the

penitent kneels nearby. If preferred, the confessor and penitent may sit

face to face for a spiritual conference leading to absolution or a

declaration of forgiveness.

When the penitent has confessed all serious sins troubling the conscience

and has given evidence of due contrition, the priest gives such counsel

and encouragement as are needed and pronounces absolution. Before

giving absolution, the priest may assign to the penitent a psalm, prayer,

or hymn to be said, or something to be done, as a sign of penitence and

act of thanksgiving.

The content of a confession is not normally a matter of subsequent

discussion. The secrecy of a confession is morally absolute for the

confessor, and must under no circumstances be broken.

The Office itself begins like this,


The Penitent begins

Bless me, for I have sinned.

The Priest says

The Lord be in your heart and upon your lips that you may

truly and humbly confess your sins: In the Name of the

Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Penitent

I confess to Almighty God, to his Church, and to you, that

I have sinned by my own fault in thought, word, and deed, in

things done and left undone; especially__________. For these

and all other sins which I cannot now remember, I am truly

sorry. I pray God to have mercy on me. I firmly intend

amendment of life, and I humbly beg forgiveness of God and

his Church, and ask you for counsel, direction, and absolution.

Here the Priest may offer counsel, direction, and comfort.


The Priest then pronounces this absolution

Our Lord Jesus Christ, who has left power to his Church to

absolve all sinners who truly repent and believe in him, of

his great mercy forgive you all your offenses; and by his

authority committed to me, I absolve you from all your sins:

In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy

Spirit. Amen.


The Priest adds

The Lord has put away all your sins.


Penitent

Thanks be to God.


The Priest concludes

Go (or abide) in peace, and pray for me, a sinner.


It is truly such a beautiful meeting on Holy Ground to enter more deeply into the mercy and grace of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment